Medical-Grade Vs. Over-the-Counter Skincare Products: What Is Better?
Being bombarded with hundreds of commercials on skincare products claiming to be “the best” in the market, sifting through the ones that deliver the right and safe results for your skin can get tough. With an overwhelming amount of options at hand, you’ve probably begun to wonder: how do products sold in department/local drug stores and medical-grade skincare products differ from each other? Are medical-grade treatments a worthwhile investment?
The obvious answer is yes. If you’re keen to dig a little deeper, read on to learn why medical-grade skincare products are beneficial to your skin (and can help you achieve your skincare goals safely and effectively).
- Higher-Quality Ingredients
Among the major differences that set medical-grade products apart from OTC ones is the quality of ingredients. The dosage percentage of ingredients in every formula of a specific medical-grade product is higher than its OTC counterpart. For instance, the brand Obagi has Vitamin C Serums that come in various strengths, like 10%, 15%, and 20%.
There are Vitamin C brands available in department stores that claim to have a higher dosage of Vitamin C, but the reality is that it may not have a similar percentage found in physician-dispensed brands. This means that the OTC product doesn’t offer full strength that can penetrate your skin. Products with highly-concentrated ingredients in a single formula bring the desired results, so if you want to get the best value for the price you’ve paid, go for medical-grade products.
- Guaranteed Purity And Safety
Medical-grade skincare treatments are subject to thorough research and clinical studies to prove their benefits. Most OTC products are not held to the same standards or observed through research to back up their claims. Medical-grade products have the oversight of Health Canada, the country’s regulatory body for food and drug safety (you can report any health or safety incidents concerning a cosmetic product by visiting this page).
- Deeper Skin Penetration
Over-the-counter products only treat the surface of the skin and cannot penetrate the deeper layer to address skincare problems, whereas medical-grade ones are formulated in such a way to seep into the dermis (the home of the elastin and collagen) and into the base level where the production of fresh new cells takes place.
Dermatologist-recommended skincare products have the capacity to treat previous skin issues that have damaged your skin, deal with existing issues, and can go as far as adding a layer of protection to prevent future problems from harming your skin. In addition, these products can slow down the ageing process of your skin so you won’t have to worry about getting aggressive and costly treatments in the future.
- Professional Advice
One great benefit that comes with medical-grade skin care is that you can have your skin evaluated first before actually buying the product. Skincare professionals can adjust your list of products based on your skin conditions, so you’ll be more confident that you’re investing in effective products even when your skincare goals or needs change over time. Knowing which products are suited for you also keeps you from entertaining the newest products in the market because you know exactly what your skin needs.
Before using any product to treat even a simple skin issue, consult with a professional skincare practice so they can analyze your skin type, assess your condition, and recommend the solution that’s tailored to your concern. They will educate you on the products that you need to use as well as the side effects that come with using them.
- Tailored To Your Needs
We all long to use skincare products that are formulated for our skin type and unique condition. Medical professionals create specific products that are meant for treating diverse skin issues for different skin types. You come to them, and they’ll provide you with the appropriate products that can help you achieve the best results.
- You Get What You Pay For
There exists a notion that medical-grade products are pricey. While this can be true to many products, rest assured that these costs are reasonable, and you’re getting what you pay for.
- They’ve invested in developing their product. Medical-grade skincare brands choose to funnel their budgets into research and development to improve their products. This is one of the things that give them an edge over OTC products.
- They’re highly effective. There are several testimonials that tell of ineffective over-the-counter products so users had to stop using them, wasting people’s money and leaving them disappointed. Medical-grade products work harder than your regular OTC.
- You’ll apply less of it. As mentioned, these products contain ingredients with higher concentrations so they’ll penetrate deeply into your dermis. Because they’re effective, you’ll only use less of the product to get the results you desire.
Choosing Medical-Grade Products That Are Right For You
If you’re planning to take your skincare routine up a notch with medical-grade skincare products, here are some guidelines on how to select the products that are appropriate for your skin type and condition:
- Learn your skin type. Is your skin normal, dry, oily, or sensitive? Is it prone to acne, redness, or clogging? Is it tired or affected by sun damage? All these factors influence your skin type. It’s best to have a deeper understanding of your skin type so you’d know which products are friendly or harsh to your skin. If you’re unsure what your skin type is, visit an aesthetician that can help you evaluate your skin.
- Consider your skincare goals. Do you want to rejuvenate your skin, treat specific problems, or eliminate signs of ageing? Medical-grade skincare products are rich with active ingredients to create a real and lasting impact on how your skin looks and feels. There’s always a product that’s intended for whatever skin issues you may have, so it’s in knowing what you want to achieve with your skin that will help you sift through the products laid out before you.
If you’re planning to explore scientifically proven clinical treatments that produce great results, medical-grade skincare is for you. Book a consultation with em clinic & spa to learn more. Our expert skin professionals can educate you about these products, including how to use them and the effects you will experience.
EM Clinic & Spa offers a selection of SkinCeuticals products with advanced formulations designed to correct damage, moisturize, and protect healthy skin. These products are widely used by dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and medi-spa specialists. The items are safe and do not contain harmful chemicals.
Call us today at (519) 668-7449 to book a FREE consultation!