What You Must Do to Promote Healthier Skin
While maintaining a skincare routine is helpful for your body’s largest organ, it is crucial for you to also build other habits that can contribute to the health of your skin. Doing these would not only improve your skin’s appearance but also its functions as your body’s barrier.
Here are some ways you can promote healthier skin:
Exercising can do a lot of good for your body. Since exercising gets your blood pumping, it helps nourish your skin cells through blood flow. This means, doing your cardio helps your blood to deliver the important nutrients and oxygen to your body’s working cells. Proper blood circulation also helps in removing waste products from working cells.
- Workout at Home
You do not need to rely on gym equipment to break a sweat. You can do so just by using your bodyweight. Here are some exercises you can perform at home:
- Lunges – These increase the strength in your legs and glutes.
- Begin in standing position, with arms down at your sides and feet shoulder-width apart.
- With your right leg, step forward. Bend your right knee as you do so and stop once your thigh is parallel to the ground. Do note extend your knee past your right foot.
- Push up your right foot and return to the first position.
- Repeat steps with your left leg. This counts as a single rep. Finish 10 reps for 3 sets.
- Pushups – TThis exercise targets your pectorals, deltoids, triceps, abdominals, and your “wing” muscles
- Begin with a plank position. Your neck must be in a neutral position. your shoulders should be pulled down and back, and your core must be tight.
- Begin to lower your body to the floor by bending your elbows. Once your chest grazes the floor, extend your elbows and go back to the first position. Keep your elbows close to your body as you do so.
- Finish 3 sets of as many reps you can perform.
- Squats – Increases core and lower body strength, and flexibility in your hips and lower back
- Begin in a standing position; your arms should be down at your sides and your feet must be shoulder-width apart.
- Brace your core, push your hips back, and bend your knees like you are about to sit. Keep your chest and chin up as you do so.
- Push yourself down until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Bring your arms out in front of you in a comfortable position. Make sure your knees are not bowing inward or outward as you do so.
- Pause for a second before extending your legs and going back to the first position.
- Finish 3 sets of 20 reps.
- Burpees – These improve your cardiovascular function, blood sugar regulation, and aerobic fitness
- Begin in standing position. Your arms should be down at your sides and your feet must be shoulder-width apart.
- Start to squat down. Place your hands in front of you. Once they reach the ground, position your legs into a pushup position by popping them straight back.
- Perform a single pushup.
- Go back to the first pushup position. Hinge at your waist and jump your feet up to your palms. You must get your feet as close to your hands as you can.
- Stand up straight, bring your arms above your head, and jump once. This counts as a single rep.
- Finish 3 sets of 10 reps.
Protect Yourself Before Going Outside
Constantly exposing yourself to the sun can cause wrinkles, age spots, and even increase the risk of skin cancer. To prevent these issues from developing, do the following:
- Apply sunscreen – Apply sunscreen that at least has an SPF level of 30. Be generous with the amount that you are going to apply to your skin and make sure to reapply every 2 hours.
- Wear appropriate clothing – Wear long-sleeved shirts that can cover your arms, long pants to cover your legs, and a wide-brimmed hat to shield your face.
- Find shade – Look for places that can shade you from the harsh rays. Keep away from the sun between 10 am and 4 pm since the sun’s rays are the strongest during these times.
Improve Your Diet
Do not just rely on exercising alone, either, which is why you must also change your diet for the better. Eating foods rich in antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients can help to improve your skin from the inside out.
You can improve your skin’s health by regularly consuming the following:
- Olive oil – This is associated with lowering the risk of facial photoaging. This refers to skin damage, which includes skin discolouration, dark spots, and wrinkles.
- Omega-3 – Eating healthy fats such as omega-3 can help your skin avoid scaling and dryness.
- Tomatoes – One study shows that incorporating more tomato paste into your meals can help protect you against sunburn.
- Mangoes – These have compounds that contain antioxidant properties. They help protect your skin’s components, like collagen.
- Kale – This contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which can protect you against light-induced skin damage.
- Green tea – Polyphenols found in green tea revitalize your dying skin cells. They may also suppress inflammation and slow down skin cell production, which can help people with skin conditions like psoriasis and dandruff.
Another way to improve your skin’s health is by minimizing your stress levels. People who experience high-stress levels are more likely to have skin issues like scaly skin, hand rashes, and itchy skin, and severe acne.
Minimizing your stress levels can result in clearer skin. You can do this by practicing meditation, yoga, or other forms of stress reduction techniques.
Lose the Cigarettes and Alcohol
Smoking cigarettes decreases blood flow by narrowing the tiny blood vessels in the outermost layer of your skin. This also decreases the nutrients and oxygen your skin needs, which can make your skin look paler. Cigarettes can also damage elastin and collagen, which give your skin its elasticity and strength.
Meanwhile, a higher intake of alcohol is associated with a higher risk of developing cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma. With this, we recommend you to quit smoking and reduce your alcohol intake.
Get Enough Sleep
Get your beauty sleep. Adults should sleep between 7 and 9 hours every day. When you deprive yourself of a good night’s sleep, your skin’s ability to repair itself at night decreases and your skin ages prematurely. Without enough sleep, your body cannot produce collagen, an important component in the fight against sagging skin and wrinkles.
There are different ways of improving your skin’s health — one of which is to adopt a healthy lifestyle. It is also important for you to be constantly practicing, as doing so can positively affect your skin.
If you are interested in getting treatment or skincare products, then look no further than em clinic. Our team provides excellent services that are highly beneficial for your skin. Do not hesitate to contact us at (519) 668-7449, or email us at email@example.com.